Sunday, May 3, 2009

Reflections of Joshua Tree


Arriving in Joshua Tree was a bit anti climactic. I left Red Rocks, Nevada where the rock walls were thousands of feet tall. There were climbing routes everywhere you looked. When I got to Joshua tree all that I saw were piles of boulders scattered throughout a flat desert. However as I drove deeper into the Joshua Tree National Park the boulders began to build into bigger boulders. I began to notice cracks in the gigantic piles of boulders, cracks so good they appeared to be climbable. Finally I arrived at the Hidden Valley campground and discovered there was an immense amount of climbing around the campground.

After surviving a windstorm gusting at 60mph I found myself waking up to fresh coffee, sun, and a full day of the most difficult climbing I have ever experienced. The overall history of Joshua Tree is what initially attracted me to the site. There are more routes in the park than in Red Rocks or Smith Rocks combine. Everywhere you look there is a new route with new challenges. By the end of the week my fingertips were raw and about ready to bleed through the skin had been worn so thin.

My experience in Joshua Tree taught me that perspective and experience are imperative. Looking at Joshua Tree from the perspective of Red Rocks with no experience of the area my perceptions were biased and skewed. After gaining some experience my perspective of both Red Rocks and Joshua Tree changed greatly. I am now a better climber and guide for having experienced both places.

The Rock itself was not my only mentor on the trip. The people I met along the way taught me many things as well. A fellow IMG guide named Eric Remza stayed with us for a few nights. During Remza’s time with us I learned more about guide hospitality and what it means to create a wholesome experience for the client. He also taught me to keep my options open in the financial sector and always be looking for opportunities. More color was added to our trip when Mick Pearson showed up. Eric had met Mick last fall when he was in Red Rocks. Mick arrived on the tail end of our stay in Red Rocks and we would later meet up with him in Joshua Tree. Mick is the most energetic, centered, and encouraging guide I have met. He has a calming nature about him that ironically comes out through his techno beats and 11b overhanging trad routes. Mick taught me to push myself and that achieving greatness requires some failure. He also taught me to listen more intently to the things around me; and how to keep my head in the game when everyone else is loosing theirs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i've been faitfully reading and thoroughly enjoy your insights. here's to many more climbs and years of gaining knowledge!